Fun Kids Activities for August

So it's August,  kids are getting bored and parents are running out of ideas (am I right?).  Maybe you've already done these, but if not, here's three fun activities and crafts that we've tried and loved this summer. 

1. Shaving cream paint.




All you need is shaving cream and food coloring. I used the gel kind here because we have cooler gel colors. 



You can use regular paper, but it looked like this was going to a project more enjoyed if we planned on it being messy, so we headed outside. I used the back side of a big plastic play mat, so Thing One could paint with a brush or just use his hands and have lots of area to cover.


He liked feeling the squishy cream between his fingers. When we were done I just hosed down the plastic mat and Thing One. : )


2. Baking Soda & Color Drops



So I'm sure everyone has seen this on Pinterest, but we finally tried it, and it was really entertaining.


When Thing One had had enough of the eye dropper I scooped it all up into a volcano


and then I let him pour the rest of the colored vinegar into it. He loved watching the eruptions. It took me back to my childhood and the wonder of watching this chemical reaction for the first time. So cool.


3. Box Cars



A few weeks ago we had planned a backyard swim day with a friend. Ten minutes before he arrived a huge rain storm rolled in and I knew we weren't going to get to swim. I had seen these box cars at Family Fun and thought maybe we could turn our rainy day into a drive-in movie. So we went to the garage and grabbed a few boxes (which we are lucky to always have plenty of). I didn't have a pattern or plan I just started cutting and taping. It basically took three large boxes to make two cars; one for each plus a half a box for the top/front. I cut down one side so our little drivers could open the doors.


I used colored duct tape to make them a little different, and used the tops from coffee containers for the wheels and steering wheel.


I'm a dork for liking this so much, but I added a gas cap using the lid from one of Thing Two's rice puffs. I used hot glue to stick everything on (wheels and gas cap).


That's what been keeping us from boredom around here lately. Hope you can make the most of the last few weeks of Summer! Have a great weekend!


Comments

  1. Visiting from Cheerios & Lattes..... What a great post Love the shaving cream paint!

    Marcy
    www.simplysprouteducate.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of adding coloring to the shaving cream. Fun activities. Stopping by from WFMW. I would love for you to share any number of posts at Mom's Library! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I accidentally removed your comment while trying to copy your blog address! I will come by your blog though and thanks for stopping by here!

      Delete
  4. That is so cool and interesting. I have never seen shaving cream paint before! Stopping by from library link up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts